My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://lacqueredlife.com
and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

If This House Could Talk ...

Prospect Hill Plantation, Edisto Island, South Carolina. Built 1800. I know my posts have been a little "house heavy" lately, but when I was in Charleston I picked up a copy of Charleston Home Magazine (one of my faves) and was thrilled to find this feature. 

Meticulously renovated by Charleston's leading restoration architect, Glenn Keyes, Prospect Hill Plantation is a perfect example of an historic lowcountry cotton plantation brought back to life through some tlc by its current owners. 

The owners decided to preserve the original plaster finish on the home's walls, and the effect is absolutely stunning. 

Although fully preserved, the house retains some of its "rough around the edges" feeling, which is inherent in the Edisto Island plantation lifestyle. 

I can't get enough of the finish on the plaster walls, years of paint had been applied and then carefully stripped away revealing a beautiful patina. Which provides a perfect backdrop to this antique footed tub. 


The ceiling height in this historic house adds such drama, even to a classically decorated bedroom. 

The owner's daughter was married under this tree last year, looking out over the same view that the original owners did when they bought the land in 1792. The romance of that, is part of why I love historic preservation.  


photos courtesy of Charleston Home Magazine 

5 comments:

  1. Wow I would love to see pictures of that wedding! I'm sure it was breathtaking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If only my parents owned such a beautiful property for John and I to marry on! This place is absolutely stunning. The preserved plaster walls are fantastic---such charm!! xo katie

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a beautiful place... also love the styling of the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Breathtaking property, love the tour back in time at these historic spots!

    Karena
    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  5. http://charlestonweddingphotographer.net/?p=3031

    Photos of the wedding

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? I would love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...